- RSS Channel Showcase 9598299
- RSS Channel Showcase 9112735
- RSS Channel Showcase 8262824
- RSS Channel Showcase 4631270
Articles on this Page
- 10/05/12--12:58: _Poplar Grove Planta...
- 11/14/12--14:01: _Free Cape Fear Chor...
- 11/16/12--12:52: _Plenty of holiday f...
- 11/20/12--11:07: _"A Christmas Carol"...
- 11/21/12--11:45: _Virginia Belser and...
- 11/29/12--12:54: _It’s A Wonderful Li...
- 12/04/12--11:25: _TACT presents J.R.R...
- 12/11/12--11:36: _Brunswick Holiday C...
- 12/12/12--09:12: _Sounds of the Seaso...
- 01/03/13--06:50: _TEDx Hampstead this...
- 01/04/13--10:30: _Midday Interview: "...
- 01/09/13--08:34: _Midday Interview: S...
- 01/09/13--12:08: _Midday Interview: S...
- 01/11/13--07:37: _Midday Interview: A...
- 01/11/13--10:30: _Thalian Association...
- 06/05/13--11:40: _Midday Interview: "...
- 06/12/13--11:31: _Midday Interview: "...
- 06/18/13--10:40: _Midday Interview: S...
- 06/21/13--10:57: _Midday Interview: S...
- 06/25/13--11:08: _Midday Interview: T...
- 10/05/12--12:58: Poplar Grove Plantation's Halloween Festival
- 11/14/12--14:01: Free Cape Fear Chorale Concert
- 11/16/12--12:52: Plenty of holiday fun with with Elizabeth Hester and Kim Kelley
- 11/20/12--11:07: "A Christmas Carol" at TheatreNOW
- 11/21/12--11:45: Virginia Belser and David Norris - "A Sense of Place"
- 11/29/12--12:54: It’s A Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play
- 12/04/12--11:25: TACT presents J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit"
- 12/11/12--11:36: Brunswick Holiday Concerts
- 12/12/12--09:12: Sounds of the Season from Stage and Screen
- 01/03/13--06:50: TEDx Hampstead this Saturday
- 01/04/13--10:30: Midday Interview: "Money Habitudes"
- 01/09/13--08:34: Midday Interview: Spamalot at Thalian Hall
- 01/09/13--12:08: Midday Interview: StarNews Theatre Awards
- 01/11/13--07:37: Midday Interview: Adult Scholars Leadership Program
- 01/11/13--10:30: Thalian Association 225th Anniversary
- 06/05/13--11:40: Midday Interview: "The Bookman's Tale"
- 06/12/13--11:31: Midday Interview: "High School Musical" comes to Wilmington
- 06/18/13--10:40: Midday Interview: Summer art classes at Cameron Art Museum
- 06/21/13--10:57: Midday Interview: Sophie Amelkin & Heather Bobeck duet recital
- 06/25/13--11:08: Midday Interview: The Hippie Ball 2013
Jeanne Walker of Poplar Grove Plantation told us about their biggest event of the year, the Halloween Festival! It’s spread over two weekends this year, October 12-14 and October 19-21. We also chatted about an event later this month called Happy Tails Dog Expo on October 28.
More information at PoplarGrovePlantation.com
Today I talked with Jerry Cribbs, founder and director of Cape Fear Chorale. The chorale will be joined by an orchestra for a free concert on Sunday afternoon at 4 at Grace United Methodist Church. The concert features Vivaldi’s Gloria, Schubert’s Magnificat and one of Handel’s Coronation Overtures. CapeFearChorale.org
I spoke today with Elizabeth Hester, Executive Director of the Wilmington Ballet Company, about the December 1 & 2 full-length production of The Nutcracker. And Kim Kelly from Cameron Art Museum talked about how a Wilmington tradition is being revived and brought to the CAM – The Cape Fear Festival of Trees, November 24-December 2. d cape fear festival of trees.org
Today I spoke with Hank Toler from TheatreNOW. The company is putting on a 5-person adaptation of A Christmas Carol. It previews this Friday and Saturday with a 3-course meal; tickets $38. The show continues every Friday and Saturday through December 22 with a 4-course Victorian Christmas meal; tickets $48. The doors open at 5:30; the show begins at 6:30.
For information and reservations visit TheatreWilmington.com or call 910-399-NOW (910-399-3669).
I spoke today with the two artists whose exhibit A Sense of Place opens this Friday night from 6 to 9 for Fourth Friday Gallery Night -- Virginia Belser and David Norris.
Big Dawg Productions presents It’s A Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play by Joe Landry, based on the famous Frank Capra film.
Thalian Association Children’s Theatre (TACT) presents a stage adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit. This version will be especially good for families with young children because it’s not as scary as the upcoming Peter Jackson film. The show runs this Friday and Saturday at 7pm, and Sunday at 3pm. It runs next weekend as well, ending December 16th, at the Hannah Block Historic USO at 2nd and Orange in downtown Wilmington.
Tom Smicklas is the new Director of the Brunswick Concert Band. Debbie Skillman directs the Brunswick Little Theatre Singers. The two groups are joining to perform Holiday Concerts together – Friday at 7:30pm at Hatch Auditorium on Caswell Beach, and Sunday at 3pm at Odell Williamson Auditorium at Brunswick Community College.
I talked with members of the Wilmington Choral Society about their concert Sounds of the Season from Stage and Screen, 4:00 Sunday afternoon the 16th at the Scottish Rite Temple. Paula Brinkman, Musical Director and Conductor, and Dave Hardee, Outgoing President, were my guests. In January the group starts open rehearsals for their spring concert. No audition required! Just show up and sing!
Michael Barber, local TEDx organizer, tells us about the program’s Lifelong Learning theme and the guests featured on its January 12 program: Jock Brandis, AnnaMarie Romero-Lehrer, David Pell and Dr. David Weber.
Syble Solomon tells us about Money Habitudes.
Justin Smith of Cape Fear Theatre Arts & City Stage told us all about Monty Python’s Spamalot, a hilarious musical version of the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It’s on the mainstage of Thalian Hall. There are only three shows left and tickets are going fast! Call 632-2285 or go online to ThalianHall.com to get your ticket.
John Staton and Zach Hanner tell us all about tonight's show, The Wilmington Theatre Awards. Bob Workmon and Rachel Lewis-Hilburn of our staff are both up for awards!
Geneva Reid and Terry Richman came to WHQR to tell us all about the Adult Scholars Leadership Program 2013, offered by Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at UNCW. For more information, or to register for the 6-day course in February, visit UNCW.edu/adultscholars, or call 910-962-2258.
There is room for only 32 participants and the deadline to register is February 8, so don’t hesitate!
Today I talked with Tom Briggs, Artistic Director, and Susan Habas, Managing Director, of Thalian Association Community Theatre– celebrating its 225th Anniversary this year with many special events.
Today Bob Workmon spoke with with North Carolina author Charlie Lovett about his novel of romance and mystery, The Bookman’s Tale. The story tells of a
David T. Loudermilk directs and choreographs Disney’s High School Musical for Thalian Association Children’s Theatre. The show runs Thursday and Friday at
Georgia Mastroieni and Kirah Van Sickle tell us about the summer arts classes and workshops for all ages at Cameron Art Museum. For more information,
Soprano and actress Sophie Amelkin is giving a duet recital with her friend and colleague Heather Bobeck on Saturday at 7pm at Little Chapel on the
Jimmy Pierce, Director of the non-profit Kids Making It, told us all about The Hippie Ball! This is “the best party of the summer” by all accounts, and